Diabetes is second largest disease that causes death in the developing countries like Pakistan, India and Asia pacific. Screening Tests are performed to for the screening for diabetes. The patients that don’t have any symptoms of diabetes can be easily diagnosed by these screening tests for diabetes.
Blood Sugar Screening Tests:
Random Blood Sugar Test:
The random blood sugar test is the part of the regular body check up. No matter when you took the last meal this test determines the amount of sugar present in the blood. The level above than 200mg/dL (11mmol/L) confirms that the person is diabetic.
Fasting Blood Sugar Test of Fasting plasma glucose test:
Fasting plasma glucose test is the authentic test in which blood sample is taken when the person has not eaten for last eight hours. If the fasting blood sugar level is above than 126mg/dL (7mmol/L) then it confirms that person is diabetic.
- A normal fasting glucose level is 110 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dl) or below.
- A pre-diabetes level is between 110 mg per dl and 125 mg per dl, sometimes called impaired fasting glucose(IFG).
- This range is between normal and having diabetes.
- A diabetic level is 126 mg/dl or higher.
Oral Glucose Tolerance Test:
This test is considered the best diabetes screening test to diagnose diabetes in adultery. During this test the person drink the glucose solution and then blood sugar levels are taken during the several intervals. If 75 grams sugar solution is taken and after two hours blood sugar level is 200mg/dL (11 mmol/L) then it shows the person is diabetic. In some conditions this test is also used to diabetes in the pregnant women.
Blood Sugar Monitoring Tests:
Glycated Hemoglobin Test (HbA1c):
This test shows that what the blood sugar level was during the past three months. In normal person the normal HbA1c value is 3.5 to 5.5 percent. If this value is above than one percent then it shows that person is diabetes. If you are diabetic then HbA1c levels can be helpful to you to control the diabetes levels. If HbA1c is level is 7% or less than 7% then blood sugar is well controlled and you are thumbs up.
A general range for HbA1c levels is:
- Less than or equal to 7% [up to 53mmol/mol] is a very healthy HbA1c level.
- Between 7% and 8% [54 – 64mmol/mol] is a fair HbA1c level and needs work to improve
- Between 8% and 10% [65 – 86mmol/mol] indicates your blood glucose levels are much too high
- Above 10% [87mmol/mol or higher] indicates your blood glucose levels are extremely high.
2-Hour Blood Sugar Test:
This blood test helps to take a bird’s eye view on the oral all blood sugar level. This test is also used to diabetes; this test is also used as post prandial blood test.
Diabetes is the silent disorder; it is possible that don’t feel it for years as there are no symptoms in the body. But it is advised that HbA1c test should be performed after the age of 25 in every adult. This will help to diagnose the diabetes level in the adult age.